

00:26:33 Judith McGovern: Could someone put the link to SLT in the chat please?

00:26:45 Aimie Lambert: School leadership team meeting summary <https://www.staffnet.manchester.ac.uk/fse/school-natural-sciences/leadership-team-summary/>

00:30:06 Julian Mecklenburgh: Where is the sharepoint? I cannot seem to see it.

00:30:17 Judith McGovern: Why has no progress been made on the use of funded rather than costed FTE on grants (eg STFC)?

00:30:33 Perdita Barran: 'chemistry' have not been told this?

00:30:46 Aimie Lambert: The FCM Q&A is available on Staffnet* <https://www.staffnet.manchester.ac.uk/fse/school-natural-sciences/board-minutes/>

00:33:48 Perdita Barran: I think that is just for the DTA allocation PhD. students and its not very evident (e.g. I have just worked out what I think it is). But its a very good start. Can we have an action to clarify what is actually being done on the student P codes? and how we can see the reports on them.

00:37:21 Judith McGovern: How can we discuss the pros and cons of the FCM when the documentation does not reflect what is actually being done? (Rhetorical questions for now.)

00:37:49 R Dryfe:@Emma, you are very quiet

00:38:03 David J. Lewis: I cant hear Emma P-E very well

00:38:31 Philippa Browning: I can hear ok

00:38:37 Bryony Quick (she/her): I can hear you fine Emma!

00:38:46 Lydia Norman: We also have Fiona Lynch on the line too who will be able to take any questions on TLSE

00:40:19 Alex Eggeman: Quick question, secure bike parking, showers etc for bike/run commuting, is this available yet? The webpage is pretty thin on details

00:42:01 Fan Gao: Quick question: Is local induction for MECD EM Centre available at this moment? If yes, then how can we be added to the waiting list? Thanks.

00:44:16 Perdita Barran: I would presume induction to instruments is booked via PPMS.. Mail Mike Faulkner

00:45:13 Fiona Lynch: Yes technical inductions are run locally. You will also need to complete the MECD building induction

00:45:34 Michael Faulkner: Yes we are running local inductions for EM - this following successful completion of the MECD building induction

00:45:49 Lydia Norman: tellMECD@manchester.ac.uk

00:45:59 Fan Gao: Thanks everyone

00:46:27 Perdita Barran: might be sensible to add the building induction info to PPMS for platforms located in MECD

00:46:40 Lydia Norman: Teaching spaces user guides - https://rise.articulate.com/share/xi2B7FYeSb9pBPtw0SYI8pVz-0eIO-qf#/lessons/ZL5n_5ZQMe5YAdOmcREPomx_TprCvINn

00:48:06 Charlotte Hooson-Sykes: Query Re: the free sanitary products in MECD, Physics & Astronomy (and now Chemistry) have offered this for a number of years, recently added to the Department baseline. If there is funding from Faculty for this in MECD, can this be done for the other buildings too?

00:48:51 Alex Eggeman: I'm still waiting for the building induction on Blackboard, if Materials is moving could we just get everyone in the department put on the course rather than having to ask?

00:50:31 Lydia Norman: Charlotte - this is a funded pilot that we are part of with the Directorate for the Student Experience. I would advise getting in touch with Katie Urnevitch in the central team to express your interest in being involved.

00:51:06 Lydia Norman: If anyone has any further questions please don't hesitate to email us - tellMECD@manchester.ac.uk

00:52:46 Simeon Gill: £400million in 2013 at 4% interest, cant his be refinanced on a lower interest rate? Also why 10% surplus, for years it was 5%

00:53:03 emma pemberton-eccles: Hi Alex. I'll ensure that the building induction modules are added to your blackboard asap. Colleagues are being added in batches at the moment, as the headcount is finalised, in the order they are moving, so there shouldn't be a need to ask...

00:53:42 Gianpaolo Vignali (he/him): @Alex do mention this to your move manager when the 8 week countdown begins. This explains Emma's previous point of staff being completed in batches

00:54:29 Charlotte Hooson-Sykes: Thanks Lydia will do. We've been working with SHS and the SU for the last few years (pre pandemic - also had a conversation with SALC) so we can easily feedback experiences into it.

00:55:13 Romain Tartese (He/Him): Where does the 10% surplus figure comes from? Why not 5%? or 15%?

00:58:41 Judith McGovern: Can we have more detail of the £21m to be spent on flexible learning?

00:59:05 R Dryfe: Do you think it's a good idea to run all these IT/change projects at once, or would it be better to run them sequentially?

01:03:32 Hugh Gong: Is student accommodation provision not self sustaining?

01:03:35 Lloyd Cawthorne: The USS deficit has already recovered as per the interim monitoring of the 2020 valuation that shows assets at £89 billion. Why do you suggest the situation is still volatile and contributions will need to rise?

01:08:24 Judith McGovern: The slides should go in the staffnet site for the meeting, please.

01:19:32 Judith McGovern: What is the timeline Steve?

01:19:46 Conrad Goodwin: I think it's clearly a very complex issue, but what matters to people delivering FTF material is that they actually know the timetable far enough in advance to plan things. That has not happened for both semesters in the 21/22 year. What might 22/23 look like?

01:20:21 Conrad Goodwin: I think Polly has answered that.

01:21:06 Conrad Goodwin: Thank you.

01:21:56 Perdita Barran: Please include the journey time, from the normal place where someone works, sometimes turn arounds are very tight and I cycle.

01:22:06 Alex Eggeman: Sorry the mic has switched off somehow. Question is 'what inputs would you like from us?'

01:22:19 Jonathan Bagley: Need to know room allocated before deciding method of delivery. Eg. blackboards or white boards: 2 lectures, but visualiser with non-adjustable height table: videos plus review session.

01:22:36 Conrad Goodwin: How is journey time included? Are provisions made for different ability for people to get around?

01:22:49 NF Morrison (he/him/Neil): Journey time is quite fuzzy, being different for different people and times of day

01:25:39 Polly: The surveys will be very quick to respond to ... within minutes. First one out soon with a few weeks to respond. We appreciate your input on these, thanks

01:26:14 Judith McGovern: Choice can be "subject to timetabling constraints"!

01:26:16 Nicholas Chilton: It is not a suitable solution to reduce student choice to fix our timetable woes

01:26:56 Rob Sansom (he/him): Agreed re Nick

01:28:09 Conrad Goodwin: There are a finite number of lecturers and a finite number of rooms for them to teach in. Surely course numbers are not the issue because no lecturer can teach two different courses in different places at the same time. Rather than factoring in 40,000 students and their unique course combinations, there are far fewer lecturers. Geographical restrictions surely par the issue down further?

01:29:03 Perdita Barran: Syllabus plus - is an off the shelf solution pretty widely used.

01:29:58 Lorna Dawson (she/her): Syllabus+ is what is currently used.

01:30:06 Jamie Gooding: If there's anything that you want to raise with students please do get in touch!

01:33:06 Jonathan Bagley: @Conrad Course numbers are an issue for Maths. With intake of 500 rather than 360, yr 3 options can no longer fit in 120 seat flat rooms with blackboards/whiteboards. Need tiered theatres with different method of delivery.

01:34:25 Conrad Goodwin: @Jonathan – the point raised was the number of courses offered, not number of students on a course

01:36:52 Charles Darko: Hello Chris,

01:38:42 Charles Darko: Thank you for the brief overview. I think there are strategies for supporting PS staff and several others for supporting students. Is there any support for staff feedback on students' learning?

01:45:11 R Dryfe: Similar question, I am supposed to travel to Ireland to do a PhD viva later this month.

01:45:41 Judith McGovern: In a similar vein, it now seems that if you tag even a couple of days holiday onto a trip, you are told to take out private insurance for the whole time away.

01:46:53 Ping Xiao: If frequent travel card cannot be used to book travel, what it can be used for?

01:47:05 Judith McGovern: That seems fair but it isn't what the insurance site says

01:48:48 Ping Xiao: Thanks Chris

01:49:22 Judith McGovern: "If a traveller intends to have a period of personal travel before or after or during the official business period, they should ensure that they have arranged their own insurance to cover the entire period that they are away from the UK prior to departure."

<https://documents.manchester.ac.uk/display.aspx?DocID=29190>

01:49:57 Jamie Gilmour: Regarding the previous question, it does seem to me recent developments in teaching are moving us away from supporting our students to become independent learners.

01:54:55 Rob Sansom (he/him): The wording of the motion :The "University Statement of Teaching Expectations" needs substantial revision and a longer process for open staff discussion, engagement, and

input

01:58:01 R Dryfe:This Department Forum endorses the proposal to return TLSE office and staff to the Department and allow walk-up student enquiries on discipline-specific matters.

01:59:06 Jamie Gooding: Haven't carried out a survey in Physics but very similar sentiment

02:01:28 James Allan: Can back up what Rob said about EES based on our staff-student liaison meeting. A big concern is students are less willing to present themselves with present problems and pastoral care is suffering.

02:03:56 Imogen Riddell: We direct students to the hubs and they are sent back to departmental resources. This is not about students not finding the hub.

02:04:26 Lloyd Cawthorne: In UEQs students are asked 'What things do we do well that have helped you to feel part of a learning community?'. Surely having support staff in departments builds community.

02:05:05 Lloyd Cawthorne: And 'What could we do better to make you feel part of a learning community?'.

02:05:24 Nicholas Chilton: Jamies' point is very well made - discipline student support and pastoral care should be made within departments

02:05:33 Nicholas Chilton: we said this during consultation, and it was ignored

02:05:51 Julian Mecklenburgh: Jamie makes very good points that need to be listened to.

02:06:24 Ed Caffyn-Parsons: It won't be long before there will be no students who have experienced departmental level student support. The strongest supporters among students are 4th years who can truly see the "before and after".

02:07:27 Perdita Barran: I think we ought to be magnanimous and change this hub model in the face of this existing overwhelming feedback from the academics and the students. Its not working. We have to listen to the concerns and act on them, not wait for another 12 months. COVID only makes this more important.

02:07:46 Nicholas Chilton: To Sam Ryder: you say that it is not for the School Board to dissent from University policy - I do believe the Board has some authority in the statutes, and morally it's our duty to work for the students

02:08:08 Conrad Goodwin: Very well put Rob and Jaimie both.

02:08:22 Sally Brown: So PS staff don't get to vote on this? That's fair.

02:08:33 Romain Tartese (He/Him): It would seem incredible to move to a hub system when most students, support staff, and academics are against it

02:08:48 Stuart Christie: How is it that we can make changes in 6 months but we can't dissent now?

02:08:52 Joao Fonseca: Students need personal relationships. A familiar face in the office has been invaluable to many students in the past and will continue to be.

02:09:05 R Dryfe: Here is the text again - This Department Forum endorses the proposal to return TLSE office and staff to the Department and allow walk-up student enquiries on discipline-specific matters.

02:09:08 James Allan: The poll just disappeared on me

02:09:10 Julian Mecklenburgh: it disappeared

02:09:21 Nicholas Chilton: Romain - it's already happened, despite our feedback during "consultation"

02:09:50 Wayne Keating: @Jamie it would be good to meet and discuss the plans for the Student Support Hubs and how they will be promoted to students, services they can offer etc. Could we arrange a time to meet and discuss with other reps too?

02:10:27 Jamie Gooding: Of course! I will send you my email address

02:10:38 Wayne Keating: Thanks Jamie

02:11:25 Rob Sansom (he/him): PHilippa: I think we may have inadvertently dropped Sam from the agenda

02:13:40 Jamie Gooding: Quick query on the final point of the report, will the same approach to mitigating circumstances be applied to Semester 2 exams as were applied in Semester 1?

02:14:39 Jamie Gooding: Excellent, thank you!

02:20:43 Lloyd Cawthorne: How flexible is SEP to change if it needs improvement? e.g.: if hubs are not working.

02:22:22 Drupad Trivedi: +1 with Nick's view - I was wondering what is the point of all these polls and discussions spending (wasting?) two hours - if we clearly have staff, student and everyone saying 'the hub won't work' but we will still have the hub anyway.

02:23:06 Romain Tartese (He/Him): When is this hub thing being discussed at senate?

02:24:14 Julian Mecklenburgh: Thanks Philippa